Benefits of an ePortfolio . . .
. . . for Students, Educators, Employers or Corporate Companies
1. Students that develop an ePortfolio will see BENEFITS . . . from the PROCESS.
- They will discover a valuable exercise in self assessment through the reflection process
- Learning will take on a new depth through the reflection process
- Their self esteem and self-confidence will be enhanced as they take control of their learning.
- They may develop their own goals for their learning.
- Assessment of their learning may become more student centered; the learner is involved and authorized to make decisions about will be evaluated.
- They will receive more recognition for individual learning abilities and preferences.
- They will learn and begin to practice a process that will be used in life long and life wide learning pursuits.
. . . . from the PRODUCT
- They will have a tool for personal development.
- They will have a personal learning record.
- They may receive credit for informal and non-formal learning as well as formal learning.
- They will have direction for career planning.
- They will have a tool for feedback from teachers and peers; feedback in the form of comments, as opposed to marks.
- They will have a concrete way of showcasing strengths to teachers or future employers.
- They may have needed documentation for prior learning assessment or program credits.
- They may receive credit towards a course completion or towards graduation
- They will have an extremely portable tool to use no matter where they are in the world.
2. Educators that develop their own Portfolio will see BENEFITS . . . from the PROCESS.
- They will understand the important aspect of the process fully and see that the process is just as important as the product.
- They will be able to empathize with students as they create, find or request their own evidence.
- They will develop an appreciation for the challenges that are experienced while writing a reflective statement that identifies learning.
- They will have the opportunity to explore more fully who they are and what they know and can do.
- They will assess strengths and interests which allows for exploration of career options.
- They will refresh their skills in documenting lifelong learning experiences
. . . from the PRODUCT.
- They will have a record of personal learning with documents that prove formal and informal learning.
- They will be able to demonstrate professional growth and show a commitment to continued learning.
- They will have an organized collection of evidence that can be used as a job search tool if needed.
- They will have a tool to showcase skills and knowledge to their employers when seeking a new position or a promotion.
- They will be able to identify strengths and/or weaknesses to help with future professional development decisions.
- They will be able to assess strengths and make more informed decisions on career options.
- They will have clear documentation to assist with Prior Learning Assessment and be able to link learning to learning outcomes.
- They may even have the evidence needed for PLA credits when pursuing continued education.
3. BENEFITS to Employers or Corporate Companies that establish a Portfolio Community for their employees . . . from the PROCESS.
- Employees will have the opportunity to explore more fully who they are and what they know and can do.
- They will refresh their skills in documenting lifelong learning experiences. This allows them to bring all of their learning to their daily job challenges.
- They will assess their strengths and interests which will assist them in seeking new opportunities within the company that they are suited for. This allows a company to retain the most talented staff members.
- A Portfolio initiative would create a “buzz” of interest and excitement resulting in increased staff morale.
. . . from the PRODUCT.
- Employees will have a record of personal learning with documents that prove formal and informal learning. This results in a definite boost of confidence.
- A staff with increased confidence will be a more productive staff.
- Employees will be able to demonstrate professional growth and show a commitment to continued learning. They will have evidence for a requested transfer or promotion.
- Employees will be able to “showcase” their best work and share examples easily and comfortably with each other. A community of sharing ideas and best practices will be developed within the company.
- Human Resource specialists will have an effective tool to match employees to job position. They will be able to identify strengths and/or weaknesses to help the staff with future professional development decisions.
My goal is to reach 101 benefits. Can you add to the lists?